Friday, December 21, 2007

Naming the World For Her

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men."
Alice Walker


Today I stood at the bedroom window with Maya in my arms, just after she awoke from slumber, and we looked out together at the clear blue day world outside. A soft breeze softly sailed through the open window as I named the different things that made up the scene before us; trees, blue sky, a bird twittering, the smell of the ocean immediately to the left of us....introducing them to her.

I sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" to her softly and whispered in her listening baby-ear that one of the secrets I want her to know about in this life is that there is beauty in all things.

That sometimes you have to look a little harder for it then usual...but look harder because it will always be there.

It is such a blessing and a privilege to be Maya's mother.

P.S What does the quote at the beginning have to do with this post? Nothing really, I just love the quote and am a fan of Alice Walker.

No comments: