Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Louis Armstrong Once Said...

“Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans?”

Oh how I know...

Good article that echoes my sentiments

Love For carefree New Orleans remains vivid

I cant believe my favourite place is devastated and under water !

To think, if I had been born just a couple of weeks later, instead of the 13th of August, I would be there right now.....

Part of me is selflishly grateful that I got to walk it's streets and fall into it's enchantment once again, before it fought a losing battle to Hurricane Katrina. Yet, even more so, I just feel sad.

Sad for all who call The Big Easy home.

Sorrow for the drowning of a city that evolved beautifully into it's graceful old age. I scan pictures, flashing on my computer and tv screen, of the city now, looking for familiar streets and buildings.
The water is washing it's history and beautiful wrinkles away. Even after the floods have receded and the rebuilding begins, it may just become a glossy kodak photograph of it's former glory.

The news reporter delivers the news that N'awlins may become a ghosttown but I believe that she will always have life....

For this is her secret; the life and fun loving spirit of this place made each and every one of her old corners sparkle with a most mysterious beauty, spilling out over her cobblestoned streets, like an old, haunting song drifting out of a jazz club.

She'll start swimming soon, will put on her fine old dress and colorful beads and return to dance once again to her blues and jazz.

Don't leave us yet, Orleans, the party is far from over...

My heart and best wishes are with her and her inhabitants. I'm worried about the wonderful friends we made and left back there.

What has become of the ol saxophone player who stood daily in front of Cafe Du Monde and played ? Troy from the hotel ? Jeff from Cuvee ? The little girl who peeked around a corner playfully as I took her photograph ?

My Ilford film shots will be ready to pick up soon. God, am I hoping even more then ever that my shots turn out ok. One of my films might not, as it was ISO 3200 and I forgot to turn my camera setting. So I accidently shot a roll of 3200 with a camera set at 400.... :(

Please donate to the relief fund...

Red Cross

Also, this wonderful organisation needs help with it's amazing efforts...


Noah's Wish

No comments: