Thursday, April 26, 2007

Oh You Baddd Mother!!!

An observation on pregnancy...there is an extraordinairy amount of scaremongering out there, directed at pregnant women/parents.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have become worried because I have had a question and turned to the internet/other resources to find answers.

From eating the 'wrong' foods (listeria) to suffering from the flu, I have almost drowned in the hysteria of medical know-it-all's who would seem to have us all believe that pregnancy is a new concept to tread carefully in and that all things will potentially cause our baby harm.

Never mind the fact that women have been having babies since the dawn of time. We would have died out as a race a long time ago if half the shit that's forced down pregnant women's throats was true.

On Monday I came down with a 'flu type virus' (at least that was the diagnosis the doctor gave me) so if I believe what I read, my child will have me to blame when he/she is diagnosed with schizophrenia down the track or has a 'below average intelligence'.

I could make him/her a t-shirt that says "I'm mentally challenged because my mother went and got contracted the flu when I was a fetus", just to save them the explanation.

As if new (and old) parents don't have enough to worry about!

Extending on the above observations, another thing I noticed is that all that information and advice whizzing out there for all us new parents to grab (or be slapped in the face by) is very contradictory! Holy crap! Expect to be given a "yes" and a "no" answer and all shades of grey in between for any question ya got, kiddos!

No comments: