Thursday, July 14, 2005

A Note On Religion

Just a note about the previous post....

The intelligent and loving force of our world which I refer to is not sprung from any religious dogma or doctrines. I dont subscribe to them and, frankly, people who try to push their 'beliefs' down my throat piss me off.

While such people may have good intentions, I wish they would realise that other peoples quiet quest for some understanding of spiritual truth is a deeply personal journey that, ultimately, only they can make alone.

The teachings which you pursue are great, whether it be via a book, in a church, a spiritual leader etc ...if it all taps into that place inside of you where YOU are bought closer to understanding. It is but a tool in order to do this.
I, however, am going to listen to my own heart, find my own way to tap into it, listen to what feels right. So I need those people, who get into my business, to stop spouting their doctrines long enough, so that I have the quiet required to hear this almost inaudible whispering deep down in my soul.
If I have to get naked and dance around a fire like a lunatic to do this then handddddd me the matches babbbbyyy !
And don't peek at my sinful pagan butt, willya ! I'm shy ;)...

Some call this being 'God'..some call it by other names.
There are many incarnations and names of this mysterious force, in religions across the board. Differing interpretations are wonderful and good.
To veto another's interpretation, because it doesnt support your own is just ignorant. And ignorance and intolerance is at the heart of many forms of ugliness humans wreak on each other.
We have some religious teachings cultivated and twisted by man over the centuries to support whatever bias/purpose of particular powerful establishments at the time.
For anyone or anything that didnt support the 'status quo', that held differing beliefs and ways of living ....well such 'unsavoury' individuals and information went 'buh bye'...
( or, at least, some groups of people tried to make them go buh bye..).

History is rife with supression and murder, committed by humans in the name of 'God' and organised religion.

I feel that there are kernels of truth in religious teachings.
Yet it is the tonne of embellishment ( along with the omission of conflicting information ) , laid nice and thick on top of it all, that I cant ( and wont ) swallow and stomach.
The game of 'Chinese Whispers' springs to mind.

I'm not attacking anyone's belief system here. I am merely getting fed up with people ringing my doorbell at my home, preaching Christianity at me through the intercom. Or talking with someone and having the conversation peppered with " Jesus ( or insert other religious figure ) wants you to accept Him into your heart" etc etc..
When I am in the mood, I love nothing more then to sit and talk about other peoples views on this subject. I am not adverse to listening to differing ideologies.
In fact I find it interesting.
The aforementioned situation is fine because its on even ground and on each of our terms. I am inviting debate/discussion on the topic so therefore it isnt a time where I feel 'cornered' or feel as if I possess a 'poor, unenlightened' soul that someone else feels compelled to 'educate' and 'save.'

At the end of the day, it just seems as though those who take the liberty to preach to others, uninvited, convey the attitude that their belief system is the 'correct' one, the only one, and others perceived 'belief system' ( for lack of a better term ) is wrong.
To reiterate, those people who have their personal spiritual beliefs, in whichever form they come in, I respect.
For those who push their religion on others and believe their way is the only way, take your attitude elsewhere because I have no time for it.
I've been told before that I wont get into 'Heaven' ( whatever Heaven is ) because I dont subscribe to such-and-such faith, because I am not 'playing the game by the rules'.
There's that presumptious " my belief's are right and yours are wrong " attitude again.
How the fuck do you know that your soul is going to 'Heaven' and mine will go to 'Hell' if I dont swallow the 'Jesus' pill simply because you told me to...?!
If someone 'hears the Call' , then they will seek it out and come to the party, so to speak.
Like the super cool movie 'Field Of Dreams': " If you build it, they will come..."
Ya didnt see ol Kevin C. going from house to house, hitting people over the heads with a baseball bat, didja ?

For example,one of the things I respect and admire about Nepalese Buddhist monks ( and Buddhists in general )is that they lead their lives and pursue spiritual enlightenment in a quiet, calm, respectful manner. They welcome others into the fray when they come seeking to follow the same path. When others ask them about Buddhism, they're open about it.

No hard sell. No knocking on the doors of peoples residences when they're trying to enjoy a quiet day off with their families on a Sunday afternoon. No stopping people in the street and preaching at them. No hippocritical " Do as I preach and not as I do " ( and, yes, I'm talking about priests feelin choir kiddies up... amongst the rest of it. Which is excused by " man is essentially flawed and sinful. This was a trangression tut tut". ). Buddhists are one example where I do not observe a lot of hippocrisy.

If I wanted your opinion on the best way to go about 'saving my soul' ... I would ask you for it. If I dont ask, then have the respect not to push it on me, however subtle.
I am not saying anyones beliefs are wrong or inferior to mine, I dont presume to have this knowledge. So show me, and others, the same courtesy.

This episode was bought to you by the letters 'OM'

;)

1 comment:

anonymous said...

preach it, sistah! oh, i've finally put a linky-dink on my photo blog site for ya in my nz blog