Saturday, July 02, 2005

Creepy

So last night Josh and I get home after spending the afternoon bbq'ing at his friends place...

I was takin out the garbage with plans to run next door to Rogers Video to grab a dvd. I toss the garbage in the dumpster around the side of our apartment and emerge onto the street. There's a guy standing there somewhat awkwardly in front of the apartment building, looking around. He looked to be in his late 40's, early 50's and was clad in attire befitting a 'respectable' middle aged guy, whiteish sorta hair etc. When he sees me I get the impression he's like a kid that has been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He asks if there is an apartment to rent in our block ( the first clue might have been the ' apartment for rent' sandwich board that is immediantly outside, on our front lawn ... I dunno ... life can be so confusing sometimes ? )
I point to the sign and say " thats what it says ..."
He asks " Do you live here, around here ...?
" I'm visiting" comes out of my mouth, I'm getting a wierd vibe from this dude.Its an intuition that has served me well since I was a little girl, getting me out of many a potentially dangerous situation.
He proceeds to ask what the neighbourhood is like " Because my son is lookin for a place and ..."
" Oh well, I dunno. Its a cool neighbourhood, sure. I wouldnt really know, I'm new to the country."
" Oh well I'll write the number down " he says and proceeds to write in his notebook and walks off.
I come inside and tell Josh about it and then I went next door to get the movie and thats that.
Some hours later I'm sitting in the living room, lights on and window open to let the fresh air in and I hear a strange snapping sound.
Josh had been in bed at that point for about 20 minutes. I see him come out of the bedroom and go to the (also open ) kitchen window and close it, peering outside. It turns out that he was laying in bed and, all of a sudden, he heard footsteps and the soft light streaming into the bedroom window from outside darkened as if someone is standing at the window blocking it. He got up, grabbed his asp and started snapping it in front of the window to warn off whoever it was.
We didnt see/hear anyone after that.
It creeped me out when he came out and told me this because I thought maybe someone was watching me in the living room and walked around the back to break in, thinking that I was at home alone...only to be met with someone else ( Josh ) at the bedroom window snapping his weapon before he started trying to get into the window.
I mused on the possibility that the dude I encountered earlier that night might have come back...
Tonight I went to lay down with him when he went to bed to cuddle him g'night. We were laying there in the dark for about 5 - 10 minutes when suddenly we heard about 4 or 5 taps/knocks in the room. We paused for a second, I said " What the fuck...!" and I hopped off the bed, looking toward the window, to where the noise seemed to come from. We went to the window and ... no one.
Josh tried knocking on the window glass and it definately sounded exactly like the noise.
Problem with our apartment is that it is a 'sub-basement' one. The bottom of our windows ( which are standard placement in the walls ) are level with the street outside. Makes it easy for ppl to see right in. Also , all someone has to do to get to the back of our apartment, to the bedroom and kitchen windows, is walk around to it from the street. Theres no gates or whatever blocking anyone who wants to walk around to the back, the sideway leading to the back is immediantly beside our apartment.
I'm gonna be a little uneasy if Josh ever gets put onto a nightshift schedule at all.I'll just make sure the back windows are locked, phone is beside me at all times and tv/cd volume is low.
It was just creepy, I'd hate to think of how I'd have felt lying in bed in the dark, alone at home, and hearing those knocks on the window.
I'm getting lessons off Josh on how to use that bloody asp. And how to get out of holds/grapples if some eijitt was trying to hold me down....

No comments: