Sunday, November 07, 2004

Meet Rumi

Poetry of Rumi - 13th Century Persian mystic


Ode 314

Those who don't feel this Love
pulling them like a river,
those who don't drink dawn
like a cup of spring water
or take in sunset like supper,
those who don't want to change,
let them sleep.
This Love is beyond the study of theology,
that old trickery and hypocrisy.
If you want to improve your mind that way,
sleep on.
I've given up on my brain.
I've torn the cloth to shreds
and thrown it away.
If you're not completely naked,
wrap your beautiful robe of words
around you,
and sleep.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I swallowed
some of the Beloved's sweet wine,
and now I am ill.
My body aches,
my fever is high.
They called in the Doctor and he said,
drink this tea!
Ok, time to drink this tea.
Take these pills!
Ok, time to take these pills.
The Doctor said,
get rid of the sweet wine of his lips!
Ok, time to get rid of the doctor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on Rumi. Words that divide, hide us. Words
that unite, reveal us. Words from the One, make us sick
of being away from home, make us want to make home wherever we are. Oh one and One and one and One and one and One, oh death birth death birth death, oh grief of
me, oh why would I choose to leave my Lover to come to a place of suffering? Oh my Lord lift me toward the light I left, the light of You and Yours. Oh Radha and
Krishna, ripping rainbows of deception with your love.
Oh divine couple, beyond all time and, even, sweetest Rumi shine