Monday, November 01, 2004

Urban Sanctuary

Song Playing : ' You Are My Sunshine ' - Ray Charles

Its dusk in Melbourne.
The sky turns down its vibrant color , staining itself a deep , dark baby-blue and grey.
The trees and rooftops of Fitzroy and Carlton become slumbering sillouhettes.
The music ribboning out from my stereo slides out my open bedroom window and seductively serenades the city.

My window is my live , ever moving , murmering painting of the city that watches over me ...
As I watch over it....

I slide off my dress that I'd been trying on , the lamplight casting golden light over my skin. It chases small shadows around the curves of my waist and limbs.
My white cotton curtains ripple and billow slightly as they flirt with the cool night breeze that is whispering into my room.
The curtains part and my eyes linger over the road below , bordering the right side of my window.
Headlights of passing cars stream towards me , passing below ....then disappearing.
I dont worry that drivers might see me. And if they do , I care little.
If they , for some wierd reason , divert their eyes to the very far left....to a window up high on the side of this building and catch a glimpse of skin beyond the thick white curtains...they've passed before they even realize what they're seeing.
My ole bluesy music plays on and my gaze drifts to my favourite view from my apartment ; the city skyline.
Those tall skyscraper buildings , with blue and purple lights , which keep me company whenever I'm at my keyboard , writing. Or speaking on the phone.
I stand there , burning this sight into my memory.
Remembering to include , in this vision , the bats that fly across my window and into the big ol' tree that stands on the right hand side.
As I change into the dress I was initially wearing , my head is full of the small loss ahead of me.
The owner is selling my apartment and the shop it rests apon.
My heart aches a little at the looming split.
I love this place. More then any other place I have lived in , THIS place is mine. It was if this apartment and I were a destined couple.
The name it hums is mine.
And it hums every day.Its lullaby soothes me to sleep at night.
I wanted to , at least , have one more summer here. This is a place where spring and summer brings it to life and it is at its best.
The smooth timber floorboards cool my bare feet.
The freshly painted white walls glow with the streaming sunlight that infuses this space during the day. Smouldering with candle or lamp light during the nights.
The gentle smell of my sandlewood incense wafting through the airy rooms.
The neighbourhood birds ; sparrows , willy wagtails , pigeons ... they all love my place as much as I do.
They play in my courtyard every day.... bathing in the little birdbath I set up for them , sheltering on rainy days under my sloping roof .... and eating the breadcrumbs I scatter around for them each day.
BBQ's on the courtyard overlooking a drowsy warm city. A spread of rooftops below , as far as the eye could see.
When dusk settles over this city it turns magical.The skyscrapers that line the horizon light up like glittery wands.
The guy who lives across the road is outside again , smokin his cigarette and glancing up every now and then. I sit at my desk and write and he sits outside for awhile and smokes. I think the presence of the other must reassure both of us that in the midst of the noisy hustle and bustle , there are at least two of us who have slowed down for a few moments in time.
But when I leave , he probably wont miss the sight of me and I wont miss him...
Thats life ..... its ever shifting.
We move on ... casting our eyes ahead.
I hope I find another place that fits me as much as this one. One which cultivates this sense of peace and happiness and creativity....
I keep reminding myself of my goal of living in New Orleans a spell...finding a place like this one , all of my own ...and playing my blues /jazz music , dancing , writing my first novel , breathing in that musky warm air....
Thats where I gotta go next.
Everything happens for a reason. This place will be sold and I wont linger too long because theres somewhere else I gotta be.
Then , eventually theres that house by the beach I dream of, the beautiful luxurious bathroom and darkroom that will be in it and the parting with this place seems easier.
Its funny how one attaches oneself to places and things , when our home is inside of ourselves......

I hope the new owners see the charm in this place that I do...I hope they dont renovate its charm right outta it....
And I hope they're kind to my little feathered buddies.



1 comment:

Tina said...

Yeah babe ... I have a feelin I'm being told to get off my ass lol !