Saturday, September 25, 2004

A Promise To Strangers

When I was on one of my little photo crawls , a few weeks ago , I was taking a photo of a flower tree ( the flowers are like tulips of the lightest pink , these trees are common around my area and I noticed them because ...well I love tulips ).
The house the flower-tree fronted was a pink , spanish sort of villa house.
The old soul that owned the house was out and about that day and he noticed me taking a photograph of his flower-tree.
" I hope you dont mind " I said , smiling at him " I like your tree......."
He smiled and motioned for me to stay put and started calling for his wife. At first I thought he was calling " Tinnnnnnaaaa " but I realized his wife's name was Lina or something similar sounding....
Old soul and wife emerge , wife is clutching a little red camera of her own.
" Oh ..." I realize "... they think I'm some professional photographer or somethin ? "
* Oh chuckle chuckle *.
Wife smilingly gives camera to me and their eyes ask if I can take a photograph of them. I feel honoured to...
However I look through their viewfinder and think " Oh yucko , they look a million miles away " ....
I'm totally thrown by the difference between their little digital viewfinder and my minolta , which views everything exactly as is , true to size.
They stand proudly by their flower tree ... showing it off with grand hand poses but yozwer , they look like little munchkins in this viewfinder lol.
They stand a distance away from each other. Prouder of their tree then their marriage/love. At the risk of generalising a culture , this is what I've come to learn from the limited experience I've had with older europeans; they show more affection towards their gardens then their relationships.
I snap off a couple of photos and take one from my own camera for good measure and I promise them that I will give them a copy of their photo from my film.
Happy nods and its sayonara.
Its been two weeks since then and today I thought I'd keep good on my promise.
After work , I went home , put their picture in an envelope and went in search of their home again. Located it and dropped it in their letterbox.
I hope they like their picture :).....

Oh and heres the pic I took of their tree ... it needs to be in color because the flowers were a pretty light pink and the sky was a brilliant blue but I had the b&w Ilford film in my camera that day *shrugs*.
I'll just have to wait for a similar blue-skyed kinda day and go back and retake the photo I guess *wink*.


3 comments:

Tina said...

Cool babe ! I'll go and have a look at it after I get back from my lunchbreak !

I have to install photoshop and learn how to use it. I'ma PS Virgin *chuckle*

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely pic and a nice story. You should try hand coloring the photo to get the color back. It would be gorgeous me thinks.

~Mindy~

Tina said...

You worked wonders when ya played around with my pic Kara !

And thank ya Mindy hon , I was saying to Kara before that I want to hand color the flowers at least , to the light pink they were.....
Now if only I can do it subtly enough in PS lol.Gonna install it this weekend ....